Students prepare for upcoming Aloha Week parade

Madison Kwok, Reporter

At the beginning of each school year, Sacred Hearts’ marching band is hard at work practicing for the annual Aloha Festivals Floral Parade. The parade includes an impressive lineup of pau riders, extravagant floats with masses of colorful Hawaiian flowers, many hula halau and school and military marching bands all brightening the streets from Ala Moana to Kapiolani Park.

In addition to the nationally televised airing, schools and organizations from across the island join for the annual parade to show off their talent and compete for prizes.

Junior Kelly Zhang has been a member of the Academy band for four years and is the  trumpet section leader.

“We have been practicing practically every day with long hours preparing for the parade, and it’s pretty hard. I get really excited and nervous over how things are going to turn out. This year I was named section leader for the the trumpets. Band can be pretty intense sometimes, but I plan to do it throughout the rest of high school and possibly into college.”

Pamela Nishida is a senior saxophone player.

“I like band, but it’s been a lot of hard work to prepare for this parade.  [Band] requires a lot of self-discipline.  When marching, you can’t step out of line, you can’t touch your face, stuff like that. It’s all worth it, though, when you’re performing for others.  I personally like marching on the outside of the band, I hate being on the inside because on the outside, I can see everyone dancing and I get to watch the rest of the parade.”

Senior Lindsey Kim is the clarinet section leader.

“The most rewarding part of the parade is listening to the crowd cheer for you. To see the joy that our music brings to them is great,” said Kim.