Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Athletes perform outstandingly in fall season

Academy+athletes+were+named+to+a+surprising+number+of+all-star+teams+for+fall+sports%2C+including+cheerleading%2C+volleyball%2C+bowling%2C+cross+country+and+sporter+air+riflery.+
Academy athletes were named to a surprising number of all-star teams for fall sports, including cheerleading, volleyball, bowling, cross country and sporter air riflery.

Lancer athletes and coaches had a great season in fall sports, winning honors in several categories.

Juniors Caitlin Cunningham and Hailey Ganiron were named to the ILH All-Star bowling team while senior Kassandra Kitagawa and junior Kauaolikokalani Arelliano were named  to the second team. Bowling coach Allen Wallace, Jr. was named ILH bowling Coach of the Year.

Cunningham said, “As a team and individually, this was a good season because we all worked really hard to accomplish all we had. Being named a first team all-star made it that much better.”

Senior Sara Tashima was recognized as the ILH’s Most Valuable Player for sporter air riflery. Tashima, who is looking for a college scholarship through air riflery, has been a consistent winner in the sport over the past four years.

Tashima said, “It was a great way to end my high school sporter air riflery career with this award. Looking back, I have learned a lot through our school’s program. The coaches have taught me all that I know and for that I am very thankful.”

Senior Courtney Malina was named the ILH’s Co-Most Valuable Player in cheerleading while seniors Sidney Palea and Cheongcae Yoo and junior Lea Surrell were named to the ILH second team. Junior Chiann Nobrega and freshman Brandi Surell were awarded honorable mention in cheerleading.

Malina said, “I am extremely honored to receive this award. Without the support of my family, teammates and coaches I would not have gotten this far.”

Seniors Rebekah Kai and Kau’ionalani Kekuawela were awarded honorable mention for ILH volleyball.

Kai said, “Although I wish I could have made first or second team, I’m still grateful and honored to be recognized. Through this experience, I learned that I still have so much to learn and I should never be content with where I am.”

Sophomore Phoebe Kirk was named to the ILH cross country all-star second team.

Kirk said, “I am really honored to make second team as a sophomore and I hope that within the next two years of high school, I will make first team.”

Athletic Director, Ryan Hogue, said, “I am excited for the recognition for the efforts and the momentum that they created, but I also hope that the teams realize that it was their impacts on the individuals that has allowed them to accomplish their achievements.”

About the Contributor
Sage Parker-Lee
Sage Parker-Lee, Reporter
Sage (Keala) Parker-Lee is a senior in her third year as a Journalism reporter. Outside school, Keala plays club soccer and enjoys traveling around the nation multiple times a year to participate in soccer tournaments. She loves to hike and go to the beach with friends and family.