Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Soroptimist Club performs community service for ‘Oklahoma!’

The Soroptimist Club, or S Club, is one of four service clubs at Sacred Hearts Academy. In the past, the S Club has repainted bus stops, helped at the Waikiki Community Center and YWCA, and sponsored women speakers at the Academy.

Connected to Soroptimist International, an international organization of business women who work to improve the lives of women and children in local communities and around the world, the S Club promotes service and leadership.

Recently, S Club members ushered at the University of Hawaii’s production of “Oklahoma!” on Nov. 18.

“We helped the audience find their seats. After we were done, we got the chance to watch the play,” said sophomore Gezelle Siruno.

For interested students, the Soroptimist Club has several community service opportunities each month and is always looking for volunteers for these activities. This semester the club has performed service at the Walk for Hunger, where club members and volunteers handed out fliers to the runners and walkers, and participated in Adopt-A-Highway, during which they cleaned the sidewalks from Palama Settlement to Central Middle School.

Counselor Randy Fong is the club adviser. Interested students should see him for more information about future projects.

About the Contributor
Giselle Redila
Giselle Redila, Reporter
Giselle Redila is a senior, this year’s Ka Leo editor. She has been at Sacred Hearts since freshman year. She enjoys track and tennis. In her spare time, she likes to read and do community service. Her favorite activity is going to Baskin Robbins for green tea ice cream.  She hopes to attend college on the East Coast where she will study archaeology.