Low voter participation reflects apathy and lack of responsibility


In the 2008 presidential election, 64 percent of eligible, registered Americans voted according to statisticbrain.com. This means that the other 36 percent of Americans decided not to have their say in choosing a leader for the next four years.

Voting in any election, whether it is presidential, congressional or on local levels, is important to ensuring that the citizenry is represented by those they feel will make the best decisions for them.

Once elections are over, many complain about the decisions elected officials make. In reality, those who did not take the initiative to vote should not be complaining about those decisions because they themselves did not the time to choose who would be making decisions for them. If citizens want to have a say in who is elected and makes decisions for them, then they need to vote. If they opt not to, then they should not complain.

Our democracy gives citizens the power to choose. Voting is one way Americans have an impact on decisions made at various levels. It is every eligible American’s duty to vote on election day to take part in our country’s democracy. If not, the American value of a country “for the people, by the people,” is not fulfilled.

The most recent election proved to be an extremely close one between candidates for all elected positions. This year’s presidential race was the most anticipated and closely watched by Americans. The outcome was a consequence of the democratic process that has made many happy, but also many disappointed.

Although voting gives people a say in their government, not everyone will be satisfied with the outcome and this past election proved this. This election, however, also proved that every person’s vote counts and can make a difference.