Sacred Hearts welcomes new staff

Sacred Hearts welcomes new staff

Malia Okoh, Reporter

In the new school year, new teachers have also arrived on campus.

Cathy Donndelinger has come to the Academy from New Hampshire, where she taught religion for several years in a co-ed school. Donndelinger studied at Marquette University and earned her undergraduate degree in English and went to Washington Theological Union for a graduate degree in theology.

“The Academy looked like a good school with good students, but good doesn’t sum it up. It looked like a good school with a good Catholic mission,” said the new theology teacher.

“The girls, they’re pretty spirited, confident and fun,” she said.

Brenda Hulen is the Academy’s first campus security guard.

Hulen said, “I’m used to working overnight, so this is the first time I have actually worked in the daytime. It’s really nice. The girls are nice here. All I hear is ‘Hi, Ms. Brenda!’ I actually feel much safer than what I’m used to. The other places I’m used to are so dangerous. This is actually the safest site I’ve come to, so I like it.”

Hulen worked at Kapalama Military Reservation. She said, “It was a 10-acre site, and I had to walk all of it. It was abandoned warehouses at night.”

Kevin Allen is in the Social Studies and Theology departments. He earned his history degree from the University of Hawaii at Manoa and a Master’s Degree in Theology from Chaminade University. Allen has previously taught at St. Louis School and Chaminade University.

Allen said he was interested in teaching at Sacred Hearts because of his “background. Having worked at Catholic schools made it a natural fit.”

Allen also said he likes working at the Academy because “dealing with the girls, talking with them on an individual level, that’s pretty entertaining. Interacting with the students is enjoyable.”

History teacher, Karl Honma, received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and Secondary Education from the University of Hawaii-Hilo. He also has a Master’s in Education from the University of Hawaii-Manoa.

Honma came to Sacred Hearts from Maryknoll School. He also taught at Hawaii Preparatory Academy on Hawaii Island for 17 years.

Honma said, “I enjoy the upbeat, positive energy of the students, the historic buildings, and the aloha and professionalism of my co-workers.”

Freshman counselor, Angela Dolan, comes to Sacred Hearts from the University of California at Los Angeles where she was an assistant learning specialist. She says her work here is very similar to what she did at the University of California.

Dolan planned to move back to Hawaii this year when she saw the ad for the job opening. Sacred Hearts was a way for her to return home.

Dolan said, “I enjoy learning more about the girls and helping them.”

Dolan recommends that students learn more about themselves and the world before they leave for college. Dolan admits that from her experience at the university she has realized that life in general will be much easier.