Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Seniors shares bagels with bishop

Bishop Larry Silva visited with the seniors on his “Bagels with the Bishop” tour during which he spoke about faith, love and commitment.

Bishop Larry Silva visited Academy seniors at the annual “Bagels with the Bishop” on Apr. 7.

Students took individual pictures with the bishop, enjoyed a breakfast of bagels and fruits and heard the bishop’s presentation after which was a question and answer segment.

The bishop’s talk focused on God’s unconditional love. Bishop Silva emphasized that God’s love continues on with them even if students do not attend Catholic colleges in the future. He encouraged seniors to become active in college campus ministry, clubs or parish churches.

Senior Greer Smith said, “I enjoyed the fact that the bishop took the time to come to our school to talk to us about remaining firm in our faith journey. I will definitely take what he said into consideration and look into the campus ministry at my school.”

Father Pascual Abaya spoke about his personal faith experience and how he knew God had called him to be a priest.

Bishop Silva, Father Abaya and Director of Office of Youth and Youth Adult Ministry, Lisa Gomes spoke about the importance of maintaining a firm relationship with God beyond high school.

Bagels with the Bishop is an annual event for all Hawaii Catholic high schools begun by former Bishop Francis Xavier DiLorenzo.

About the Contributor
Jacqueline Medrano
Jacqueline Medrano, Reporter
Senior Jacqueline Medrano enjoys snorkeling and spending time with family and friends. Jackie is on the LIFE team, the campus ministry leadership group of students. She enjoys doing service projects with her church youth group.