Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

New faculty on campus to better serve students

Four new staff have arrived at the Academy in counseling and teaching.

With the start of the second semester, a variety of new faculty and staff has joined Sacred Hearts Academy.

Spanish teacher, Sean Rist, is originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania. He received his Master of Arts in Spanish at UH Manoa and taught at James Campbell High school for two years. This year, Rist hopes to fully prepare his students for the next level in Spanish and for his AP students to pass the AP national exam.

Rist said, “Speaking Spanish is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy teaching Spanish to students who really want to learn it and frequently try to speak with me in it. I love being around students all the time and being a role model for you all.”

Theology teacher Michael Weaver, born and raised in Hawaii, currently teaches World Religions. He has previously been an adjunct lecturer at Chaminade University and the principal at Damien High School.

Weaver said, “I love teaching because of the interaction among the students and myself. It is a joy to be a part of the learning process. My goal for the rest of this year is to assist my students in developing a love for learning and an appreciation for the love God has for each of them. ”

English teacher, Gina Redila, originally from the Philippines is currently teaching English at the Academy. Previous to teaching at the Academy, Redila was an English Second Language (ESL) instructor at UH Manoa and is the mother of two Academy students, Giselle and Rory. Redila has goals to complete her second MA before the year ends.

Redila said, “I like making a difference. I like the fact that I can make a student feel great about himself/herself and confident in the gifts that God has given to him/her. I like sharing my knowledge and experiences, in hopes to inspire someone else to dream and know anything is possible through God.”

Sophomore division counselor Annaliza Miyashiro, born and raised in Hawaii, has goals to get to know the students better and to build relationships with them in order to help them succeed. Before becoming a part of the Academy’s faculty, she previously taught and counseled at St. Joseph School, was born and raised in Hawaii.

Miyashiro said, “As a counselor, I am able to help students turn their choices and attitudes for the better. It is very rewarding when they take what you say and apply it in their lives to make better choices and become a better person.”

About the Contributor
Jacqueline Medrano
Jacqueline Medrano, Reporter
Senior Jacqueline Medrano enjoys snorkeling and spending time with family and friends. Jackie is on the LIFE team, the campus ministry leadership group of students. She enjoys doing service projects with her church youth group.