Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Sixth graders learn to appreciate each other at retreat

Sixth graders had their first retreat led by LIFE team members at St. Anthony Retreat Center on Sept. 20.

“Friends are like flowers” was the theme for the sixth grade retreat on Sept. 20 at St. Anthony’s Retreat Center. Similar to a bud’s blossoming into a flower, sixth graders experienced the same transformation through the transition from elementary school to middle school.

LIFE team member Caitlin McCarthy said, “Dominique and I planned this retreat with hopes that the girls would come to the realization that they are beginning another journey and it is important to develop strong relationships with God and fellow classmates.”

As elementary school comes to an end, many students are beginning to get a sense of their own identity and how to discern from right and wrong.

The activities at the retreat highlighted the importance of having a strong support system and faith.

Senior Nicole Corpuz said, “The affirmations activity was effective in the sense that it reminded the girls that these are their sisters and they should be able to trust and have good friendships with them.”

Sixth grader Maia Bristow-Canfield said, “Since this was my first retreat, I didn’t know what to expect but after this experience, I am excited for future retreats. It was nice making new friends with girls I didn’t even know were in my class.”

About the Contributor
Jacqueline Medrano
Jacqueline Medrano, Reporter
Senior Jacqueline Medrano enjoys snorkeling and spending time with family and friends. Jackie is on the LIFE team, the campus ministry leadership group of students. She enjoys doing service projects with her church youth group.