Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Acne treatment is vital

Acne treatment is vital

The most common skin disease of the teen years, acne, affects most teens. An estimated 80 percent of all people between the ages of 11 and 30 have acne outbreaks at some point in their lives.

Acne can be caused by a variety of things such as an increase of hormones during the adolescent years, starting or stopping birth control pills, heredity, medicine, makeup and not cleaning the face.

“It’s very important to cleanse your skin every day,” said dermatologist Doris Day, MD.

The most effective way to manage acne-prone skin is to cleanse the face both morning and night using a gentle cleanser.

Facial cleansers that include benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid or beta-hydroxy acid can help fight and control acne. Teens should use warm water and not hot water because extreme temperatures can irritate the skin.

Sophomore Nia Fernandez said, “I kind of have bad acne so it is important for me to wash my face. I use Clearasil, and it really helps to clear it.”

On the go, cosmetic blotting papers offer a great option for removing oil on the forehead, nose and chin.

Junior Reinalyn Macadangdang said, “I use oil blotting papers all the time, especially on the bus. It really helps to get the oil off the face so the face isn’t shiny.”

Making small changes to their grooming habits can help teens with acne.

In addition to hygiene, teens need to get enough  sleep, eat less sugar and drink plenty of water to help with acne.

About the Contributor
Theresa Ginter
Theresa Ginter, Reporter
Theresa Ginter is a sophomore and in her first year of Journalism class. She enjoys sleeping, watching football, movies and talking to friends. Theresa wants to attend the University of Notre Dame and major in either Pre-Med or International Relations.