Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Teen fashion not meant for every body type

Teens+need+to+be+aware+of+their+body+types+to+see+what+suits+them+while+still+being+stylish.+
Teens need to be aware of their body types to see what suits them while still being stylish.

Fashion styles constantly change. Styles are based on trending patterns and designs but rarely compliment most body types.

Teen girls are some of the most self-conscious groups of the population. Girls constantly compare themselves to supermodels, harshly criticizing their own features. Teen girls often consider themselves below average or not pretty enough according to what they see in the media.

Teen clothing companies advertise their products for the “perfect body.” However, most girls do not have the “perfect body,” but because dominant companies rule the fashion world, teen girls have no other choice than to submit to these trends. Fashion trends established by supreme clothing companies are not complimentary to every body type.

As a result of these fashion trends, girls are forced to wear clothes that do not highlight their best features, hence one reason why they are not confident. These fashion trends limit girls to wearing clothes that can decrease their self-confidence.

One may argue that fashion trends are complimentary to different body types, but in reality, dominant fashion companies advertise clothing meant for the tall and thin. The “perfect” body does not exist and teen girls have to cope with low self-esteem caused by the unrealistic advertising of what one’s physique should be.

Girls are especially self-conscious about their bodies during the pre-teen or teen years. Fashion trends do not always emphasize the best features of one’s body because the advertised clothing is usually meant for a skinny, “perfect” body. Despite dominating fashion styles, girls should be aware of their body type and should choose clothing that compliments their best features.

About the Contributor
Aina Katsikas, Editor, Reporter
Aina Katsikas is a senior and second-year member of the Ka Leo staff. She is an 11-year veteran of the Academy and is currently Student Body president. When not writing for the newspaper, she enjoys blogging and hiking. Aina plans to double major in Journalism and Economics and one day write for People magazine.