Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Sixth graders earn honorable mention in Nene contest

Sixth graders Jade Unabia and Amanda Joy Lee won honorable mention in the annual Nene Contest for Hawaii’s elementary and middle school children.

The award began in 1959 when third graders from the University of Hawaii Lab School decided to create a book award. “The Blue Mountain” by Beth Lewis was the winner of the first Nene award.

This year’s winners include “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” by Brian Selznick and “The Lemonade War” by Jacqueline Davies. As part of the Nene Award Interpretive Contest, students are asked to create a new scene or story from one of the winning books that fits into the book’s timeline but reveals new information about the characters and gives explanations for alternate plot points.

Unabia and Lee received honorable mention in the Interpretive Category- Digital Media contest for their lemonade rap based on the book, “The Lemonade War.”

Laurel Taylor, library media specialist and tech coordinator of grades JK-6, said, “Their lemonade rap was hilarious.”

The Nene Award ceremony was held on Apr. 18 followed by a luncheon for winners and runners-up with Jacqueline Davies, the author of “The Lemonade War.”

Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/xw67vGMKFl4

About the Contributor
Katherine Wong
Katherine Wong, Reporter
Senior Katherine Wong has been at the Academy since her freshman year. Katherine is a member of the Soroptimist club and enjoys dancing and theater. In her spare time, she likes to read, watch movies, and go hiking.
View Comments (3)