Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Dedication and blessing for Clarence T.C. Ching Student Center completes student center plans

Dedication+and+blessing+for+Clarence+T.C.+Ching+Student+Center+completes+student+center+plans+

Sacred Hearts Academy held a dedication and blessing for the Clarence T.C. Ching Student Center on Oct. 4. The Sacred Hearts sisters, alumnae, parents, faculty, students and donors attended the event to acknowledge those who helped to fund and build the center.

The student center was named in honor of Clarence T.C. Ching. Ching was a hard-working man who believed that one has the ability to make dreams come true through determination and perseverance. He was involved in his community, doing all that he could to help others. His good deeds will be remembered through the student center. Ray Tam, nephew of Ching and a trustee of The Clarence T.C. Ching Foundation, was one of the guests of honor along with Ching’s aunt Rose Ching who represented the family.

Development Director, Andrea Hamilton, said, “We are holding this event to thank the architects, sisters, donors and everyone in the community who supported us.”

Head of School, Betty White, and fifth grader Hope Haythorne and sophomore China Carlos reflected on the development of the building and expressed their appreciation to the people who turned the T.C. Ching Student Center dream into a reality.

Board of Directors members Joe Vierra and Sara Platte recognized the community supporters, project designer and construction team.

Students of the Academy showed their gratitude through various performances. The Wind Ensemble provided lovely instrumentals, the Punahou JROTC color guard led the entrance, the high school choir sang the Star-Spangled Banner, Hawaiian Dance students performed the chant Ula No Weo (Bright Red Glow) and the lower school choir performed “Let There be Peace on Earth” for the closing of the blessing.

At the end of the formal part of the ceremony, guests were invited into the student center to enjoy refreshments and to experience and admire the building which they had generously helped to fund.

About the Contributor
Jacqueline Medrano, Reporter
Senior Jacqueline Medrano enjoys snorkeling and spending time with family and friends. Jackie is on the LIFE team, the campus ministry leadership group of students. She enjoys doing service projects with her church youth group.