Sacred Hearts Academy  |   Honolulu, Hawaii

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Ka Leo

Service opportunities available to students

Students at Sacred Hearts Academy complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service each year and often need to find organizations which need their help.

Volunteer opportunities include the Hawaiian Humane Society, helping the homeless, Big Brother Big Sister or working with the elderly.

The Campus Ministry, led by Sr. Katherine Francis Miller, said, “The most common community service activity of our student body is working with children. Many students get their hours during the summer doing things such as YMCA programs, after school care and tutoring.”

During the school year, the Academy has service clubs which help the community. Students can volunteer and gain experience in the Zonta Club, OUR Club, LEO Club, Club Med and Interact Club.

The OUR Club and the Interact Club are involved with working with families at Loliana Hale, a homeless shelter, especially during the holidays.

The LEO Club also does a variety of projects, such as Laughs for Lions which was an event at which Lions Clubs celebrated their service in the community. At this event LEO Club members ushered and helped with serving at the buffet.

Club Med is getting ready to help in the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure in October. They are also responsible for the annual blood drive. Last year’s drive collected 56 pints for the Hawaii Blood Bank.

Zonta Club adviser, Donna Ramos, said, “The Zonta Club offers many volunteer opportunities. Currently one activity that many students are involved with is after school care and tutoring in the lower school. Also this month we will be active in various activities including participating at the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.”

Junior Christine Nguyen said, “Last year I completed 188 hours of community service. I volunteered at the lower school summer school and I also worked with the LEO Club. Being involved in volunteer clubs really helps to gain experience with working closely within the community to have a successful future career. ”

About the Contributor
Sage Parker-Lee
Sage Parker-Lee, Reporter
Sage (Keala) Parker-Lee is a senior in her third year as a Journalism reporter. Outside school, Keala plays club soccer and enjoys traveling around the nation multiple times a year to participate in soccer tournaments. She loves to hike and go to the beach with friends and family.